Works In Progress See Update below!
1964 Plymouth Savoy
Mark Simmons writes:
Here are a few photos of my new '64 Savoy, it was delivered Sunday from Tucson.
It's an Arizona car that was ether a Detective or Border Patrol car, it
still has the mounting bracket in the trunk for the old transistor radios.
The build sheet indicates some unique items for a radio delete Savoy, Police
Package W/HD Brakes,Swaybars,Remote Control Mirror, power is a 383 2bbl/727 pushbutton. It is very solid except for the floors.
I'm going to store it for a while until the Coronet is done.
The question is: do I restore it to stock or go with a MaxWedge or HEMI !!
We all wish we had those type of decisions to make...
To help out, we conducted a poll to help Mark make his decision. The results of the month long poll are below.
Hum, myself I'd leave it visually as much of a Detective or Border Patrol car as possible.
The 383 2bbl is no slug, but who says the Law couldn't enjoy having a 426 Hemi under the hood to help chase down criminals? :-D
Good luck with the project!
RE: Update: Looks like the '64 found its way to a new and exciting life on the 1/4 mile track! Cool!
September 27, 2000; revised September 28, 2000; October 31, 2000; July 4, 2002
We took a month long web poll and asked visitors to Mark's page to vote on what route Mark should take with his new Plymouth.
276 votes were cast!
Here are the poll results:
A. Restore it to completely stock 72 votes (26%)
B. Make it stock looking with a max wedge 126 votes (45%)
Make it stock looking with a 426 Hemi 78 votes (28%)
And here are some comments collected during the poll.
Gary, The poll was a great idea and good fun, and the votes have it.
Although it will be a while before I get to start on it, I'm leaning towards
a near stock restoration with possibly stroking the 383 for more punch. I
recently requested Galen Goviers' help in documenting this car & I will pass
on the findings when he is finished.
- max wedge would be my bet. to much stuff to do to a hemi car. all hemis had red insides single headlights and different door panels. 10/30/00 4:13:04 AM
- ... max wedges are like a race horse that belongs on the track NOT ON PARADE! 10/29/00 1:11:49 AM
- The 62/65 cars are what really put Mopars in the spotlight . Make it fast and enjoy it by running it at the track where Real Mopar men enjoy their car 10/29/00 12:55:24 AM
- Had a 63 border patrol car-ended up another big block street car. ho-hum. 10/27/00 10:25:06 AM
- Too many Max Wedge clones! Do something different! How many police package cars are left? 10/26/00 12:38:10 PM
- Decisions, decisions....next thing you'll want is who to vote for! Great find...best of luck on the project! 10/25/00 11:03:08 AM
- its unique to be a big block post keep it stock except 4 bbl good luck!!!!!! 10/24/00 8:31:15 PM
- its unique to be a big block post keep it stock except 4 bbl post 10/24/00 8:30:08 PM
- its unique to be a big block post 10/24/00 8:26:36 PM
- go with a RAY BARTON HEMI 10/24/00 4:48:12 PM
- build it to drive and have fun 10/22/00 10:21:13 PM
Poll User Comments 11 - 20
- Ypu don't see these cars stock. Most everybody is "rodding" so set yourself apart from the crowd. Go stock. 10/21/00 10:52:42 PM
- obviously the Hemi is the first choice followed by a 500 inch max wedge clone engine, 10/20/00 8:12:04 PM
- I geuss Max Wedge has the Vote But a Hemi waiting in the corner could be an option!! 10/20/00 7:41:23 AM
- nothing like a real sleeper 10/17/00 8:30:35 PM
- wedges rules mark! 10/17/00 4:42:41 PM
- max nostaglia car 10/15/00 11:32:33 AM
- vittu hemi pellin alle ja raakaa ajoa, kuminpolttoa ja kalijanjuantia! 10/15/00 10:46:57 AM
- I would go Max Wedge. Who cares about the numbers matching. 10/15/00 7:46:07 AM
- mark....keep this bad boy looking like a sleeper, but with the punch of a hi-po max wedge!!!! DO IT!! 10/14/00 7:32:37 PM
- Had an Indiana Pursuit Car when I was in high school. Blue bottom white top.383 4barrel push button. GOOD LUCK 10/13/00 7:26:31 PM
Poll User Comments 21 - 30
- No offense, but I wouldn't waist a HEMI or Max Wedge on this car. The car has a unique history - modifying it would negate the car's history. 10/13/00 4:05:18 PM
- COOL CAR 10/12/00 3:34:11 PM
- if it had a blown motor is when i would change it out for a wedge or hemi but respect it for what it is, a cool utilitarian cop car! 10/12/00 8:31:01 AM
- A stock looking Savoy bearing a police package and a max wedge would be the ultimate! 10/11/00 7:16:44 PM
- Stock with a 426 max wedge is the only way to go, keep the dog dish hubcaps, with the same color body/wheels, restore the interior, and sell it to.ME! 10/11/00 2:48:41 PM
- hemi's are to tempermental 10/11/00 12:04:59 PM
- year of the maxi wedge go for it 10/8/00 9:09:55 PM
- MY FATHER HAS A 426 MAX WEDGE IN HIS 1964 SAVOY, AND IT LOOKS AWSOME, AND I THINK YOURS WILL LOOK THAT WAY TOO!! 10/8/00 2:02:32 PM
- MAX WEDGE CARS RULE! 10/7/00 6:47:43 PM
- do whatever you want buddy 10/6/00 10:19:57 PM
Poll User Comments 31 - 40
- stock! Yeah if your 65 or something like old. you would sell the car quicker than **** if you built stock. 450 horse is min!is 10/6/00 5:57:02 AM
- max wedge is way cool! 10/6/00 5:51:48 AM
- you should keep it stock,atleast till the motor blows some day 10/5/00 11:46:14 AM
- i love to keep them the way thay were made 10/4/00 11:59:53 PM
- Plop a 440 in,dress up to look like a 361...... 10/4/00 11:00:06 PM
- with your money ! I'd go hemi !!!!!!!! 10/4/00 10:04:26 PM
- nice find,do it as a p.c. with a killer 440 10/3/00 10:11:31 PM
- There are plenty of clones around. Not many original numbers matching Savoy big blocks. 10/3/00 2:29:09 PM
- I have a matching numbers 64 Dodge Polara Convertible. I could not even imagine that I would do alterations to it. I say that keep the 383 2bbl+727. 10/3/00 2:31:26 AM
- Make it a street hemi. Cross-rams are cool on the track, but they suck (big fuel too) on the street. I do love the way they run, however! 10/2/00 6:28:36 PM
Poll User Comments 41 - 50
- VERY NICE 10/2/00 1:07:10 AM
- make it a hemi car 10/1/00 10:29:34 PM
- 1965 hemi car. 10/1/00 10:28:00 PM
- mark i am building a altered wheelbase 1965 dodge coronet and just tonight i got the front end moved up !! but what i wouldnt give to have a 1964 or 10/1/00 10:24:20 PM
- by the time you pay for max wedge stuff you could afford a hemi! 10/1/00 10:11:00 PM
- good luck! 10/1/00 9:55:10 PM
- great body style 10/1/00 8:35:36 PM
- Cash Talks! 10/1/00 5:39:26 PM
- sell it to me i am needy 10/1/00 1:11:15 PM
- Max wedge is the way to go!! great car!! 10/1/00 7:57:42 AM
Update, July 2002
I sold the '64 Savoy to Ralph Ronzello of the Color Me Gone cars in NC. He is going to finish it and we should see it on the Nostalgia Racing circuit some time next year!