Works in Progress
Max wedge motor for my 1962 Plymouth Sport Fury
Bill Parker writes:
After a mailing list discussion about fitting max wedge intakes on non-max wedge heads, I thought it would be useful to post some pics of how the various parts compare and fit, using parts belonging to my '62 max wedge engine,
In this first batch of pics, I put one of my '62 max wedge "286" heads on top of a 1972 440 motor from which I removed the intake and valve covers.
Positioning the intake surface facing the intake surface of one of the 440 heads (sorry, I neglected to note the casting number on the 440, but it is a stock single-four '72 out of a big ol' Chrysler), I put a NORS Offenhauser max wedge intake gasket on each intake surface, held in position with intake bolts, to show the size difference between the max wedge head and the 440 head. The difference is obviously very substantial. The max wedge gasket does bear on the 440 head sealing surface at all points around the port. I also show one of the same gaskets on the sealing surface of my '62 max wedge intake. As the pic shows, this particular gasket is actually a bit too big for this intake, showing bare metal around the inside of the gasket and the gasket material protruding out around the edges of the intake. I am not personally familiar with Stage II and Stage III parts, possibly this brand of gasket would be a more evenly matched fit for those parts.
Then, I mounted the intake on the stock 440 heads using just two bolts per side and not tightening them so as to not "use up" the gasket set; there are a couple of pics of this.
I am sending several pics of one of my '62 max wedge heads, casting number ending in "286". Also the matching rocker arm assembly on this head.
My 286 heads got a new valve job recently and they are sitting around waiting on the correct block I bought recently. However, the block is sitting around at the machine shop waiting on me to spend some money, as it needs sleeves to get back to usable condition.
In the pictures, I tried to get some detail all around, hope this will be of interest to somebody.
On the next pics, I have several of the exhaust manifolds and a couple of one of the carbs. These exhaust manifolds haven't been on my car, I've been running headers, but I'm thinking of going to the completely stock stuff when I put this motor together, so I bought these at the Nats a while back. I tried to show them here from several sides and angles.
The carb is one of the 3447 carbs, they are a set with the same date code but not the correct date for my car. I bought them from Larry Shepherd some years ago, without the choke blades and shafts which I will replace "one of these days" with those from some parts carbs in my stash.
I dislike the idea of letting my car sit another year and I presently (February 2001) can't spare the cash for that sleeve job, so I'm considering going back with a 440-based motor to get up and running again for now. I have the K-member and all suspension parts cleaned up and painted and fitted with new bushings, so all that is ready to go back together.
Also, at a recent trade show and meet I bought another set of max wedge intake gaskets which are cut smaller than those Offy's in the pictures here. I don't know if that is just a manufacturer's difference or if there was some reason to have two sizes. As far as I know, the intakes had the same ports where matching up with the heads across all three years, but I may be wrong there. I know the "stage II" and "stage III" intakes had the carb pads machined with larger secondary holes for the nominal "750" AFB's compared to the nominal "625" AFBs of the first "stage". But the gaskets I bought recently are a better match for my parts.
March 12, 2001
Go back to the Works in Progress Page / Go to the B Body Web Page.
Go back to the 1962 to 1965 Mopar Web Site Home Page.