Works in Progress
1963 Plymouth Fury Wagon
Well, I think you're starting a trend. I found this '63 Fury 318
pushbutton wagon in San Diego. The drive from Texas to get it was well worth
the effort. We're in the process of building this car to compete in
Nostalgia Super Stock as a 426 Max Wedge entry.
The paint and body work should be finished by early summer 2001, and we
should have it going soon after that.
We're running a cross rammed 440 with 600 Edelbrocks, Ferguson Head Service ported 906s, Ross flattop pistons,
Manley rods, an Isky roller cam and roller rocker setup, a Turbo-Action pushbutton tranny, 4.30 gears with a Moser spool, and Mark Williams axles. Stopping will be with Strange 4 piston disc brakes. It's tubbed, and the wheel well openings have been carefully expanded to preserve the original lines, but provide additional clearance to the 29.5x10.5W tires. It also has
frame connectors, relocated springs, and a 10 point chromemoly cage.
We're trying to make the car look as stock as possible, right down to the original paint scheme.
We think it's going to be a real crowd pleaser!
This has been a team effort, with credit going to my brother Jerry and our friends who have helped in ways only friends would do.
And the fun has only just begun! We can hardly wait to get this machine finished!
We'll plan to give you further updates. Thanks for your efforts on the Web site and keep up the good work!
Update August 16, 2001
We've been thrashing non-stop, literally right up to the 11th hour on the night before we left for the Mopar Nationals in Columbus, Ohio. We stepped out on faith a little, as the car had never moved under it's own power except to load it onto the trailer. After the 1100 mile trip, the first blast right off the trailer was a respectable 12.26 at 108 mph. With better air the next morning, it went 12.03 at 111 mph. We ended up getting runner up in class, and went to the quarterfinals in the Hemi/Max Wedge Shoot-Out. Might be beginner's luck, but we felt pretty good doing that well with a brand new car, especially considering that we couldn't use our killer motor but had to use a very mild, hydraulic cammed 440 bracket motor out of Jerry's '65 Coronet.
The credit goes to our many friends that helped us get this thing together. Without their help, the whole project would have probably been impossible, and would certainly have been not much fun. Also, special thanks goes to Mom and Dad, who kept two brothers going through all the thick and thin. It's been a Family Operation.
The next step will be to clean up some of the areas we're not finished with. And that includes the big bullet motor that will replace the current light loader that we used for Columbus. We can hardly wait!!!
Not sure about setting trends, but I'll agree I do my best to give these Mopars the coverage and respect they deserve!
That's easy with guys like you around! :-)
Good luck with the project! With luck and life, I'll even get to see your family's B Body Mopars in person!
RE: Update. All I can say is WOW...and great job! :-)
April 14, 2001, revised August 16, 2001
Go back to the Works in Progess Page. /
Go back to the 1962 to 1965 Mopar Web Site Home Page.